Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pondering Domesticity

Just made my first-ever French Toast, sprinkled with confectioners sugar, with blueberries and real maple syrup. It is amazing how long I have lived without having any clue about how to get around in the kitchen -- aside from simple baking and the Christmas Sweet Potato Casserole.

I found the perfect "tool" for my fledgling cooking skills, a podcast over at StartCooking.com. Check out this video, simple enough, but I like the idea of making my fruit snacks look lovely and the idea of using frozen grapes for ice cubes? Genius!




There's also a blog you can follow, which sometimes has videos but also has recipes and instructions for those who'd rather not watch a video. Learn how to make Baked Macaroni & Cheese here!

I'm currently watching New England Cable News' Dream House and am mesmerized by an Asian inspired home furnishing store in Boston called Devi Home. I want to stock up on the Indian fabrics they have for duvet covers!

Earlier this week I was watching NH Chronicle and discovered a woman herbalist who is fairly local who takes on herbal apprentices and teaches at the farm Misty Meadows.

Speaking of local, I cannot say enough nice things about etsy seller rusticlanesoaps. Currently the store only has bar soaps, but often there are lotions and sugar scrubs as well. Wonderful work, smells good and makes me want to learn how to make them myself!

Signing off -- I'm full of yummy food, and smelling good, too!

No comments: